Poblano chicken quesadillas are a delicious and spicy elevated quesadilla. If you’re a person who likes heat I’d say these land around a medium heat, if you are sensitive to heat…well then these may not be the chicken quesadillas for you. With a side of chipotle crema and fresh pico this is the perfect meal to mix up taco night.
First a few tips on roasting and peeling peppers. If you have gas stove throw the peppers right on the open flame and using tongs turn as each side blisters and blackens. If you don’t have a gas stove then crank the oven up to 450°, rub the peppers in olive oil and throw in the oven. Again turn as each side blisters. In the oven they can take around 20minutes to get a really great roast. Stovetop flames will take tops 10minutes.
No matter what method you use to roast the pepper, the important step is to then take the hot pepper and seal them in a container with a lid or cover with plastic wrap. This will allow the peppers to steam, making the skin easy to peel off. After about 10minutes in the container run the pepper under cold water while running your fingers along the pepper to remove the skin. I like to do this over a strainer so I don’t have to dig it out of the sink later.
One more thing, if you have the opportunity to use uncooked tortillas, always go for those! Nothing like a fresh tortilla for your quesadilla, burrito, enchilada, anything you can wrap in a warm soft fresh tortilla! I find mine in the refrigerator section of most grocery chains.
Now for the recipes!
Griddle or Stovetop to finish
Serves: ~6 full quesadillas
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 3/4tsp Salt
- 1/2tsp Cumin
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- 1/3c. Cilantro
- 2 Roasted poblano/pasilla peppers
- 3tbsp Sour cream
- 8oz Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2c. Feta cheese
- 12 uncooked tortillas (or pre-cooked if you prefer)
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Roast and peel peppers, remove seeds.
- In a food processor mix the peppers, cilantro, and sour cream until smooth.
- Season the chicken breasts with the salt, cumin, and olive oil.
- Bake chicken for 20-25minutes or until cooked through.*
- Shred chicken and mix with the pepper mixture.
- On a griddle or non-stick pan, cook tortillas.
- Lower the griddle to medium-low heat and add 1/4c.-1/3c. chicken mixture to one tortilla and about 1/4c. mozzarella cheese and 1tbsp feta cheese.
- Top with another tortilla and cook until cheese is melted, flipping about 1/2 way through.
- Repeat with all quesadillas.
- Enjoy with a chipotle crema and fresh pico de gallo or toppings of your choice!
*For a quicker meal boil the chicken plain and then shred. Mix the salt and cumin in the food processor with the peppers, cilantro, and sour cream, then mix all together.
- 5oz Plain yogurt
- 1/2tsp Chipotle powder
- 2tsp Lime juice
- 1/4tsp Salt
- Mix all ingredients.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.