It’s a well known secret that nutella makes almost anything better, and it was no different when I added a layer of nutella to the middle of these blondies and then topped with a nutella buttercream. They were a hit at my holiday party and people were taking some to-go!
I doubled up my recipe and used an entire sheet pan since I was cooking for a crowd, so a 9×13 should do well for a regular portion of the recipe. The measurements below are for one batch.
Blondies are so buttery and can be sticky that I like to spray my pan and then put down parchment paper so there is no worries about removal after baking.
Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 350° – 35 minutes
- 2c. Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2c. Light brown sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 4c. Flour
- 1tsp. Baking powder
- 2tsp. Salt
- 1c. Nutella
- 1tsp. Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 9×13 pan, lining the bottom with parchment paper.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Running the mixer on low add the eggs 1 at a time until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- All at once add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low then medium until fully incorporated.
- Spread 1/2 the batter into your pan and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Dollop the 1c. of nutella around the pan and spread lightly. If you briefly heat the nutella first for about 15 seconds in the microwave it will make spreading a bit easier, but it can get hot fast! Don’t over-do it!
- Sprinkle the kosher salt over the nutella, to help balance the sweetness.
- Now add the other 1/2 of your batter to the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 35 minutes until the center is golden brown and no longer jiggles.
- Cool for 10 min in the pan, then cool fully on a cooling rack.
- Once cool cut into even bars.
- 1/2c. Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2c. Nutella
- 4c. Confectioners sugar
- 1/2tsp. Kosher salt
- 1-2tbsp Heavy cream, as needed.
- Piping bag
- Large star tip
- Using a stand or hand mixer cream the butter and nutella until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the salt and confectioners sugar.
- Start the mixer on low unless you want an explosion of sugar.
- Once the sugar is incorporated turn up to medium to beat the buttercream.
- Add heavy cream as needed to loosen the buttercream.
- Fill your piping bag 1/2 way and pipe onto the individually cut blondie bars.
*Stop pressure on the piping bag before pulling away to keep straight stiff tips on your piping.