We love bahn mi sandwiches, in fact they are one of the few sandwiches he actually approves of that isn’t toasted. I have found that for me it’s easier to make a really flavorful meatball and then add the traditional toppings.
For a good bahn mi you have to find a good hoagie that isn’t too soft and can stand up to having some of the bread taken out of the top to make room for the meatballs, you don’t want the sandwich to be overly bready. In addition to the meatballs I slather on a sriracha mayo, thinly sliced jalapeño, cucumber, cilantro, pickled carrot and daikon radish, and some green apple for sweetness.
Prep: 20 minutes
Panfry then bake: 15-20 minutes
- 1lb Ground pork
- 1lb Ground beef
- 1/4c. Cilantro
- 2 green onions, whites only
- 1tbsp. Garlic, minced
- 1tbsp. Sugar
- 2tbsp. Cornstarch
- 2tbsp. Fish sauce
- 2tbsp. Sriracha
- 2tsp. Soy sauce
- 2tbsp. Lime juice
- Finely chop the cilantro and whites of the green onions.
- Mix the beef and pork, and mix in all the ingredients except 1tbsp of vegetable oil until well combined.
- Roll about 2tbsp of the meat mixture into a ball and set on a lined baking sheet.
- In a large pan over medium heat add the vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot add the meatballs and brown on each side.
- Finish the meatballs on a lined baking sheet in the oven until done, usually 15-20minutes.
These meatballs will get dark because of the high sugar content but they taste fantastic!
Pickled Carrot and Dikon
- 2 carrots, batonnet
- 4 inch daikon radish, batonnet
- 1/4c. Sugar
- 1/4c. Rice Vinegar
- 1/2c. Hot water
- 1tsp. Kosher salt
- Cut the carrots and daikon into batonnet, 1/4inch by 2 inch. They will look like thick matchsticks.
- Mix the hot water, vinegar, sugar, and salt until dissolved.
- Submerge the carrots and daikon into the pickling mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, the longer the better.
The pickled vegetables will last in the pickling liquid, covered, for two weeks.
- Sriracha mayonnaise
- pickled carrots and daikon
- sliced green onion
- thinly sliced jalapeño