As I’ve mentioned before, we love rice bowls. This includes the sweet and creamy coconut rice. The coconut rice and peanut sauce is what really makes the dish…bringing the rich sweet flavors of peanut together with the bright ginger and acidic lime zest.
I started with the rice since rice likes to take its sweet time. Mix all the ingredients in a small pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, turn the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20-25minutes. I’ve discovered the coconut rice takes a little longer than regular rice.
Between the rice and the chicken one whole can of coconut milk will be used.
Next step is the chicken, pat the chicken dry and salt it. Salt is so important in every step of the cooking process. That’s why I added salt to the rice, the chicken, and the sauce. Not over salting your dish is of course important but that’s why adding some in each step to bring out all the other flavors helps create a balanced final dish.
Mix all the marinade ingredients together and then coat it on the chicken breasts. Put a pan with 2tbsp. of vegetable oil in a pan over medium high heat, once the oil is hot add the chicken breasts and brown on each side and finish in the oven.
* When adding anything to hot oil in a pan lay the item away from you so the hot oil spatters away and not towards your body.
While the rice and chicken cooked I prepped my vegetables and then the peanut sauce.
One of my favorite tools in the kitchen is my food processor. I added all the sauce ingredients to the food processor and let it do all the mixing for me. Make sure the taste test as you go to decide if the sauce needs more salt, lime, or to be thinned out.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 1c. White rice
- 1 1/3c. Coconut milk ( between the rice and chicken one whole can will be used)
- 2/3c. Water
- 1/2tsp. Salt
- 1tbsp. Chopped cilantro
- Add all ingredients to a small pot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn heat to low, simmering for 20-25 minutes.
Coconut Milk Chicken
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 15-20 minutes
Stovetop and Oven : 375°
- 3 Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/2tsp. Cumin
- 1/4tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1/2tsp. Salt
- 1tbsp. Soy sauce
- 3tbsp. Coconut milk
- 2tbsp. Vegetable oil
- Cherry tomatoes for topping
- Cilantro for topping
- Peanuts for topping
- Pat the chicken dry and salt it.
- Mix the cumin, cayenne, salt, soy sauce, and coconut milk together in a small bowl.
- Coat the chicken in the coconut milk mixture.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat add the vegetable oil.
- When the oil is hot add the chicken and coconut milk mixture to the hot pan.
- Brown each side of the chicken.
- Finish in the oven until chicken is cooked through 5-10minutes.
Prep: 10 minutes
- 1/2c. Peanut butter
- 1/4c. Water
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and minced
- Salt TT
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and mix well.
- Thin out with water if needed.
- Salt to taste.