Egg rolls are a perfect party food, and these ones are packed with a fruity heat, chicken, black beans, and a cabbage cilantro slaw. Set aside some of the mango habanero sauce for dipping!
The sauce takes a little bit of love and a lot of mise en place. To make life easier on myself I prepped all the fruit and vegetables before starting anything else. In one bowl I added all my diced onion, carrot, and celery for the sauce. I also diced the habanero’s, the mango, green cabbage, red cabbage, cilantro, and green onion and put them all in their respective bowls for easy work later on. I also took the time to drain my black beans and measure out the rest of my ingredients.
For the sauce I sauteed the onion, carrot, and celery, then added it to a blender with the tomato paste, water, vinegar, mango, brown sugar, and habanero. Once blended smooth I put in a medium pot over medium-low heat to simmer for about 20 minutes. Then seasoned with salt to taste.
The chicken is cooked in the hot sauce so it’s important to get that done first.
Over medium-high heat I added 2tbsp. of vegetable oil and 1c. of the hot sauce. Then added the diced chicken and cooked through. The sauce will get thick and sticky cooking down with the chicken.
Once all my components were cooked and prepped I laid out my wonton wrappers and filled with green onion, a few tablespoons of the cabbage slaw. About 2tbsp. of diced chicken, and 1tbsp. of black beans. I then rolled the egg rolls and used a small bowl of water to dip my finger and seal the edge of the roll.
Fry for 3-4 minutes at 375°. If the egg rolls are not fully submerged make sure to roll them in the oil during cooking for an even cook.
Mango Habanero Hot Sauce
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 1tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1/2 Medium yellow onion
- 1/2c. Diced carrot
- 1/2c. Chopped celery
- 1tsp. Tomato paste
- 1/4c. Water
- 1/4c. White vinegar
- 1 Mango, diced
- 2tbsp. Brown sugar
- 1tsp. Lime juice
- 2 Habanero peppers, remove seeds.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat add 1tbsp. of vegetable oil.
- Sauté onion, carrot, and celery, until cooked.
- In a blender add the sautéed celery, onion, and carrot, the vinegar, water, tomato paste, mango, brown sugar, lime, and habanero peppers.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add hot sauce to a medium pot over medium-low heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Salt TT
Mango Habanero Egg Rolls
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Stovetop and Fryer: 375° oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1pckg. Wonton wrappers
- 1/2c. Green cabbage
- 1/2c. Red cabbage
- 1/4. Cilantro
- 2 Green onions
- 1c. Mango habanero hot sauce + more for dipping
- 2tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 can Black beans
- 5c. Vegetable oil
- Small bowl of water for sealing the egg rolls
- Thinly slice the red and green cabbage, and chop the cilantro. Mix in a medium bow.
- Slice the green onions in 1/2 then into 3rds.
- Dice the chicken breasts and drain the black beans.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat add 2tbsp. of vegetable oil. Whisk with the hot sauce.
- Add chicken to the hot sauce and cook through.
- Bring vegetable oil up to heat in a large pot over high heat or in a home fryer.
- Lay out the wonton wrappers and fill with 1 slice green onion, 2/3tbsp of cabbage slaw, 2tbsp. diced chicken, and 1tbsp black beans.
- Roll one corner of the wonton about 1/2 way. Fold in the side corners, then finish rolling.
- Dip a finger into the small bowl of water and seal the last corner of the egg roll.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes, make sure to roll the egg rolls in the oil for an even all over cook.