Just take a minute and look at these beauties.
Blackberry and jalapeño (one of my favorite flavor combinations). The jalapeño doesn’t bring too much spice to the knots, but brings a nice balance to the sweetness of the jam.
Thick cut black pepper bacon.
All in and on a sweet roll, a perfect sweet and savory breakfast combination. Add a poached egg and it’s a complete meal that will impress everyone at the table.
These rolls need some time and love to rise, but make a big batch to feed a crowd. They also reheat well if you want to make them the night before. You can also retard in the fridge to rise slowly overnight and finish in the morning. So many options to bring these little babies to the table.
Start with the dough, and while it rises, chop and cook the bacon, and dice the jalapeño. I think for my next go I will mix the diced jalapeño into the blackberry jelly so it is mixed throughout and gets a little less color in the oven.
Blackberry Breakfast Knots
Prep: 30 minutes
Rise 1: ~1 hour
Rise 2: 20 minutes
Bake: 400° 20 minutes
- 1 stick Unsalted butter, 1/2c.
- 1/2c. Sugar
- 1tsp. Salt
- 5tbsp. Nonfat dry milk
- 2 Eggs
- 4c. Flour
- 4tsp. Instant yeast
- 1 1/4c. Blackberry jam
- 1sm. Jalapeño, diced
- 4 Strips thick cut black pepper bacon
- In a stand mixer, mix the flour, yeast, salt, dry milk, and sugar.
- Using a dough hook, mix the butter and eggs into the flour mixture.
- Start on low until all incorporated. Then mix on medium for 5-6 minutes until it has a formed a smooth elastic ball of dough.
- Move the dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour. The dough should double in size or spring back when poked lightly with a finger.
- Spray a sheet pan with non-stick spray or a piece of parchment paper.
- While the dough is rising, chop and cook the bacon, and dice the jalapeño. Mix the jalapeño into the blackberry jam.
- Once the dough has gone through the first rise, dump the dough onto a floured surface and divide into 2oz pieces. Cover the pieces that aren’t being used with plastic wrap so they don’t dry out.
- Roll out each piece of dough into a long strip and spread on about 1tsp of the blackberry and jalapeño jam.
- Fold the strip of dough over itself to cover the blackberry jam, then tie into a knot.
- Once all the dough has been filled with jam and knotted, lay out evenly on your prepared sheet pan.
- Sprinkle with the bacon pieces, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake the knots for about 20 minutes or until done.
I love these rolls on their own or with a poached egg on top, enjoy!