This buttercream is sweet and bright and of course beautifully pink. I’ve used this buttercream recipe on cupcakes, cakes, and most recently macarons to make a “chocolate covered strawberry macaron”.
The flavor on it’s own is a bit summery, but paired with chocolate I found this to be the perfect combination for Valentine’s day and a new way to pair that classic chocolate strawberry flavor. It also gave me an excuse to enjoy this buttercream more months throughout the year!
Prep: 5 minutes
Mix: 10 minutes
- 1c. Unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1.5c. Chopped strawberries (makes about 1/2c. purée)
- 1/2tsp. Salt
- 1tsp. Pure vanilla
- 1tsp. Lemon juice
- 1/2tsp. Lemon zest
- 5c. Confectioners sugar
- Chop the fresh strawberries and using a food processor or blender, blend to a smooth purée, I did not strain my puree, I didn’t feel like the seeds were noticeable in the buttercream, but straining is definitely an option!
- Using and hand or stand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the powdered sugar, purée, salt, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Start on low to mix, once the butter cream starts to come together, turn the speed to medium to beat the buttercream together. Scrape down as necessary.