Grilled cheese is a standard American comfort food, add a little soup on the side and you have the perfect rainy day meal. Through the years I have started to spice up our grilled cheese sandwiches. Tomato orzo soup is still our go to soup to pair with a toasty sandwich, but the sandwich contents have evolved.
One of our favorites has become the blackberry and bacon grilled cheese. I add a little jalapeno to mine and the husbands, but keep it off for our little bug. Paired with a side of soup and we are some happy cozy campers (but in our dining room, because we don’t camp).
While any bread can turn into a grilled cheese, if you really want to take it to the next level, run to your local bakery and get a fresh loaf of sourdough bread. Mmmm it just doesn’t get better in my book.
Blackberry Grilled Cheese
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
- 1 Loaf of sourdough bread
- 1 Stick of room temperature butter, unsalted
- 1 pckg of Maple bacon
- 1 Jar of blackberry jam (it spreads better than jelly)
- 1pckg Swiss cheese
- 1/2 Jalapeno, minced
- In a saute pan over medium heat cook the package of bacon. Drain on a plate lined with papertowels.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Flip the bread over and on the dry side spread the blackberry jam, sprinkle with minced jalapeno.
- Lay a slice of cheese, then bacon, then more cheese. This will help keep the bacon in blace.
- Assemble the sandwhich and broil until the bread is golden brown, then flip and brown the other side.
- Enjoy with a hot bowl of soup!