Throughout the week I like to keep some vegetarian and vegan meals on the menu. My family has a history of high cholesterol and it never hurts to have more vegetables. Falafel has been one of our favorite go to vegetarian recipes, and this time I decided to go fully vegan with the meal, and take the dairy out of the tzatziki sauce.
Falafel is a great vegetable option because it is made with chickpeas so the dish is high in protein and chickpeas are a great canvas to add a variety of flavors to.
Falafel is easy enough, in that all the ingredients can be thrown into a blender to make a paste. I prefer to make my falafel in disk form so that it is easier to eat but I’ve seen many in the shape of balls or small footballs. Once I’ve shaped the falafel, I coat it in a little flour, pan fry, and then finish off in the oven. Add toppings of your choice and voila dinner is served.
A variety of toppings would be perfect for this dish, but I try to stay in the mediterranean flavors, with bell peppers, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, and I also throw in pepperoncinis because they are delicious with this flavor profile.
Wrap everything into a pita, and dinner is served!
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
- 1can Chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 Red onion, diced
- 1c. Flatleaf Parsley
- 1c. Cilantro
- 1tsp. Cumin
- 1tsp. Chili powder
- 1/4tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/4tsp Coriander
- 2tsp Garlic, minced
- 1tsp Salt
- 1/4c. Flour +more for coating
- 1/4c. Vegetable oil for pan frying
- In a blender or food processor add everything except for the flour and vegetable oil.
- Once blended into a chunky paste, move the falafel mixture into another bowl and mix in 1/4c. flour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°
- This part will get messy, form the falafel into small 2 inch disks or balls and coat in additional flour.
- Line the falafel disks on your baking sheet after coating.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot pan fry a few falafel disks at a time until browned on each side.
- Once browned move the falafel back to the baking sheet.
- When all falafel has been panfried, finish in oven for 15 minutes.
Suggested toppings for the pita sandwich
- Tzatziki sauce
- Red pepper hummus
- Diced tomato
- Sliced black olives
- Diced cucumber
- Diced green bell pepper
- Sliced red onion
- Chopped pepperoncini
- Feta, for a non-vegan option