Almost every year, my family ends up at someones Super Bowl party. Personally I’m not huge on football, it was fun to go to games in high school…because that’s what you and everyone else does in high school. So I still attend these parties for the same reason I did back then. The socialization and the FOOD.
People really love to pull out all the stops in the kitchen for these big game days, and I love making, sharing, and eating party food, so it’s a win-win.
Last year I shared my recipes for French Dip Sliders, Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings, and Mango Habanero Egg Rolls, they are all still excellent party food and have made appearances often in my kitchen for large parties. The chicken wings were a hit for New Years Eve.
This year I wanted to share my latest take on nachos, which can also be made into tiny tacos, one of the ultimate party foods.
To really bring the flavor to these nachos I tossed the slaw in Sweet Chili Sauce, click here for the recipe.
Wonton Chip Nachos/Tacos
Time: 40 minutes
- 1pckg. Wonton wrappers
- 2-3c. Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 Shredded chicken breasts
- 2c. Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1can Black beans
- Sweet chili slaw
- Lime crema, to be served on the side.
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- Fresh lime
(Individual recipes for chicken, slaw, and crema can be found below instructions.)
- Bake the chicken in the oven for 30 minutes and shred.
- While the chicken bakes, mix the crema and slaw.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- In a large pot, add the 3c. vegetable oil and heat over medium-high to 375°
- Once the fryer oil is hot, fry the wonton wrappers on both sides until crispy. Drain on a plate with paper-towels after frying*.
- Heat oven to broil.
- Once all the wonton wrappers are fried, spread them on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle lightly with some of the cheese, then stack the chicken, black beans, and optional jalapeño.
- Top with more cheese.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chips have lightly browned on the edges.
- Top with sweet chili slaw and serve with crema and fresh limes on the side.
*For tacos – As soon as the wonton wrappers are pulled out of the fryer oil, tent the wrapper over a fork or another small raised object on the paper towels to help it form a taco shape. While the wrappers are still hot they can be formed. Use tongs to do this as the wrappers will be extremely hot coming out of the fryer oil.
- 2 Boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 1/4tsp Pepper
- 1/2tsp Garlic powder
- 1/4tsp Cumin
- 1tsp Lime Juice
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
Bake at 375° for 30minutes. Shred.
Sweet chili slaw
- 1/2c. Green cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/2c. Red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/4c. Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Green onions, chopped
- 1/4c. Shredded carrot
- 3tbsp. Sweet Chili Sauce
Toss all ingredients together
- 1c. Plain greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/8tsp. Garlic powder
- Zest of 1/2 a lime
- Salt TT (you’ll probably want around 1/4tsp)
- Mix all ingredients
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, a few hours is better.
- Use to top tacos, rice bowls, literally anything you want lime on, it really brightens a dish!
Keeps for one week in the refrigerator, don’t mess with old dairy!!!