These last few months I’ve had a goal of expanding our breakfast options, and preparing breakfast more often. Luckily my little one loves eggs and most breakfast type foods, because sometimes the rest of the day she won’t eat anything but mac n’ cheese. By cooking breakfast more often I’ve been able to make sure I get at least one decent meal in her, on her picky weeks.
Pancakes are a delicious breakfast, super fluffy and sweet, great anytime of day really, but I wanted to make them just a bit better in the health department for my family.
So I started working on a pancake recipe that would have more protein and greens in the pancakes, so I would feel just a little bit better about the plate of carbs and sugar.
Out of that desire these pancakes were born. I use the VEGA brand protein powder. I love their chocolate protein and greens as well as their coconut almond flavor. The vegan protein powder doesn’t hurt my stomach the way whey protein does, and they add greens into their powder mix. This rendition of the pancakes are chocolate, but also filled with more protein and greens from the powder. They were delicious and devoured by the whole family.
Serves: 4-6 people
Time: 20 minutes
- 1.5c. All purpose flour
- 1/4c Protein powder (I like vega chocolate protein and greens)
- 1.5tsp Baking powder
- 1/3c. Plain greek yogurt
- 1 Egg
- 1c. Almond milk (or any milk of your choosing)
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl with a whisk, until the batter is smooth.
- Heat a griddle or large non-stick sauté pan over medium heat
- Optional: coat lightly with butter or non-stick spray
- Use a 1/4c measuring cup to scoop the batter into the pan.
- Cook each pancake for 3-4 minutes each side.
- Serve with fresh berries, bananas, and syrup of your choice.